It's Happiness Monday! I love My Happiness Project, where I decided to spend a year "finding" happiness with the help of Gretchen Rubin and her awesome book. Check out her website for more information. And buy the book! It's never too late to start your own Happiness Project.
It's June and this month I picked "Attitude" as my Happiness Project subject. Why? Because as I said last Wednesday, summer time isn't my easiest time of year.
I don't get as much time to do my work, though it's still there.
I am the one responsible for occupying my children every day.
I don't like bugs. Or excessive heat. Or sunburns.
But summer's great too:
I get to reconnect with the kids.
They get to recharge from a hard working school year.
I'm reminded that slowing down is one way to appreciate life.
So June is about attitude. I can drag myself, kicking and screaming, into summer and all of its extra togetherness, or I can remind myself (like I so often do) that this time is so short.
- Have a welcome to summer family party. Whether it's going out to dinner as a family, spending an evening at the pool, or doing a real party at home.
- Do Pollyanna week. Gretchen talks about one week that she did this. No matter what was tossed her way, she responded with good cheer and a good attitude. My week will be the first full week of summer - which begins today.
- Don't talk about my aggravations. Sometimes it helps, but sometimes it just perpetuates them. Have you noticed that?
- Be easy to please.
- Buy happiness - buy new sheets for our bed. Nice ones. What a great way to promote a good attitude - soft sheets.
- Don't listen to negative reviews. Or in other words, don't promote gossip. I'm doing this because the pool tends to become a cesspool of gossip about kids, husbands and people not there that day. I'm not going to be a part of it - who wins in that situation? No one.